Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Stretching

Like everyone else these days I'm having to stretch.  The cost of food is rising and the packaging is shrinking.  So I can , freeze and dehydrate everything from my garden, and whatever is on sale.  I cook everything from scratch, make my own mixes and bake my own bread, bagels and english muffins and pastries.  The cost of everything else is rising as well.  So I quilt, sew, and knit.  Anything I can make myself or learn to make myself I do.  I'm not complaining....honestly.  The sense of accomplishment as a family that we get from all this activity makes it all worthwhile.  I have gained a new perspective and appreciation for my Grandparents over the years.  I'm guessing I will stretch as far as I have to.

The latest stretch is with our internet.  I realize some have had to give up internet and use the library and we may have to go to that.  We will see.  The internet server we use has changed their method of billing.  We will now be charged based on gigabyte usage.   We live in a rural area in the high desert of Arizona.  We had tried satellite but they charge by bandwidth, and if you exceed your bandwidth they slow you down to a crawl.  So we stopped the DTV and internet and went searching for something more reasonable.  That's how we came to be with our current company.  Since we don't have cable for tv, we use Roku. We don't watch much tv, thank goodness, because,  guess how many gigabytes streaming uses!!!!   All of this was to say, if you've noticed when I add my posts it's after midnight.  That's because for now usage is FREE from midnight to 6:00 AM.  More stretching.

God seems to be stretching us, molding us, teaching us to do more with less, drawing our family closer together and into a closer walk with Him.  He is revamping our wants and trimming our needs, bringing  joy and contentment into our lives and teaching us to slow down and appreciate His gifts.

How are you being stretched these days?



1 comment:

  1. I think everyone is being stretched these days. But, I'm glad that you've found an internet loophole that's free after midnight! I may have to hit you up for an English Muffin recipe. It's my one weakness for breakfasts. Homemade sounds marvy.

    ReplyDelete